About This Book
Exceptional C++ shows by example how to go about sound software engineering in standard C++. Do you enjoy solving thorny C++ problems and puzzles? Do you relish writing robust and extensible code? Then take a few minutes and challenge yourself with some tough C++ design and programming problems.
The puzzles and problems in Exceptional C++ not only entertain, they will help you hone your skills to become the sharpest C++ programmer you can be. Many of these problems are culled from the famous Guru of the Week feature of the Internet newsgroup comp.lang.c++.moderated, expanded and updated to conform to the official ISO/ANSI C++ Standard.
Each problem is rated according to difficulty and is designed to illustrate subtle programming mistakes or design considerations. After you've had a chance to attempt a solution yourself, the book then dissects the code, illustrates what went wrong, and shows how the problem can be fixed. Covering a broad range of C++ topics, the problems and solutions address critical issues such as:
- Generic programming and how to write reusable templates
- Exception safety issues and techniques
- Robust class design and inheritance
- Compiler firewalls and the Pimpl Idiom
- Name lookup, namespaces, and the Interface Principle
- Memory management issues and techniques
- Traps, pitfalls, and anti-idioms
Try your skills against the C++ masters and come away with the insight and experience to create more efficient, effective, robust, and portable C++ code.