Why Aren't More Women in Science?: Top Researchers Debate the Evidence

Category: Social Sciences
Author: Stephen J. Ceci, Wendy Melissa Williams
This Month Hacker News 1


by jack9   2017-08-19
> that these arguments about innate biological traits are complicated by trans, non-binary, and intersex folks.

2% (outliers) of the population does not invalidate the trends of the other 98% This is just wrong.

> I disagree that it’s possible to write what he did about general populations, then walk it back to say “but of course it doesn’t apply at an individual level.”

Gorillas typically have black fur. So no gorilla can have white fur? Wat?

> there have been some really fabulous responses, including many laying out a lot of research that counters what was in the memo

I'm interested in this research. I have not seen it, nor has it been made available. The following book, with 2 female authors who seem genuinely interested and informed in related topics: https://www.amazon.com/Why-Arent-More-Women-Science/dp/15914...

who reached a similar conclusion to James Damore: http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/opinions/williams-ceci-women-i...

Let's at least present the field studies/research, which can throw existing clinical views into doubt. eg Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences by Cordelia Fine is at least a rigorous critique of possible flaws.

It's a little saddening, to have this dialog represent the views of an average engineer.